Nov 2, 2011

Emotions~ Part II

Yesterday, the main focus of my thoughts was loosing control of our emotions. Through the analogy of water, I talked about how our emotions can look. Especially, when look when we loose control of the bad emotions that well up inside us. Bad emotions like bitterness, anger, envy, unforgiveness, frustration, fear, and there are probably a few others.

For me, my best avenue of dealing with these is first, to take every thought captive. Thoughts can be controlled. But it is not easy. Think of it like a being on a diet. You want to eat the cake, but you choose the apple. You think something bad about someone, but you choose to redirect your thought to finding something good about that person. Oh, it's no easier that choosing the apple, believe me. But it can save your relationships, and save you from being a sour puss.

Thankfulness, contentment and love are other weapons against bad emotions. God tells us in his Word to be thankful, to be content, to love one another. Those are also choices. They are rich vitamins. Colorful and full of vitality. They make our bodies and minds healthy. Choose to find something to be thankful about in a bad situation. Maybe a job loss is a heavy burden and you're tempted to get bitter. You could be thankful for the opportunity to try something new. (When someone fires you or you're laid off, I believe you can have schooling for a new career paid for... now, that's a bright spot.)

A story I often remember, and a turning point in my life, was when I had been asked to decorate for a special occasion at our church. I was excited and going through ideas; this was my first time doing it! That morning, before heading to the church, I was at piano lessons with our oldest. I got the call that my step dad had passed away suddenly. I was talking to my mom, crying and very much a mess inside. After lessons, we went to the church to look at decorations in the storage. I was greeted by the woman who made it her job to tell everyone what they were going to do, and she let me know it was not my job to decorate, but hers. She did not like me, and was usually rude to me. This was happening now?! Deep breath. For a moment, in the midst of her tirade about it not being my job, I wanted to let her have it. And I don't mean the job.

I walked away. I prayed for wisdom. I left calmly. On the drive home, I realized that this might just be a test. How would I handle it? How could I handle it? I called her home, and left her a message something like this,  "Hi ______, this is Heather. I was thinking you can do the decorating. My step dad passed away this morning and I have a lot on my mind right now, so maybe it would be better if you did handle it. Thank you."

And you know what, the next time I saw her, she apologized. Shocked me! This was out of character. And she wanted me to decorate. I didn't. I had given it up already in my mind and I was settled with it. It was all okay. No hard feelings. And that was nice. Plus it gave me a strong memory of how things can turn out when we handle them the right way. I will never forget it.

So, all that to say, what rules your day is your choice, just like what you eat. We don't realize all those bad choices we make add up to an unhealthy body and an unhealthy mind. We can rid ourselves of much stress and even bad health buy choosing wisely. God bless your emotional choices!

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
1 Corinthian 10-13

No comments:

Post a Comment