Nov 22, 2011

The Little Stranger ~

I am thankful for LIFE, LOVE, PRAYER, FORGIVENESS, GRACE, PEOPLE, CHILDREN, BEAUTY, FOOD, a HOME, and every opportunity to make a difference! Life is good!!
** Yesterday, I was coming out of our small town (604 population) pharmacy and a little hunched over woman leading a old blind woman were walking toward me, crossing the street. I was zipping past on my quest to get home, when the plain little woman said, "You have a nice Thanksgiving, ma'am." Whoa! Smack. Am I too busy? Too focused on my day? She made me smile, as I wished her the same.
 ·  · about a minute ago


Look familiar? Facebook. This was my Facebook post for the day. That woman really had an impact on me. She was small, plain and humble. She was most likely poor. Many in our area are. Yet, she left a mark on me with just a few kind words. Oh, that I could do that every chance I get.

We are getting into the holiday season. People are more warm and fuzzy. But are they really? Or is it that the holidays give them something acceptable to say, where at other times they would be at a loss for kind words? Kindness begets kindness, oftentimes. And when it doesn't...let your kindness be the last thing that old grump remembers.

We are such a blessed people, even in the midst of the messes we create or in the midst of circumstances, we are still very blessed. We should be sharing our blessings, encouraging others to do the same by our example. That little lady was an example to me yesterday.

Often God uses people like her. She is not all puff and fluff. Not adorned, not dressed fashionably. Though those are not bad things, they can distract us from our character. They can cause me to compare myself to others. There will always be someone more beautiful, better dressed and with a nicer home or car. Someone with a better job. But, that's not where it's at. It's in the heart of man that matters are settled.

If we focused on the things that matter more than things, we could see our relationships thriving. I heard news yesterday of a divorce. It always breaks my heart. Times get hard. Don't turn against your friends, your family, your spouse. Encourage, lift up one another, don't be easily offended. We never know what someone else is going through.

Well, I could go on and on...It's Thanksgiving! I am so thankful for the grace of God that gives me strength when I am weak. I am thankful to know his salvation, and have a changed heart.


25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
 26For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
 27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
 28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
 29That no flesh should glory in his presence.
 30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
 31That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.
1 Corinthians 1 




No comments:

Post a Comment