Oct 5, 2011

Hair Cuts and Habits

Today, I'm going to get a hair cut. This will be the first one I've had this year, I believe. Well, the first one by someone who knows what they're doing. I cut my own hair because I know how I want it, and I can figure out about where to aim the scissors. It's not that hard, probably because I'm good at making do.


The first thing I do when I walk in is make small talk, warming up to her. The second thing I do, almost always, is apologize. I have too. I have made her job incredibly hard my lack of motivation to go see her more often.


Don't we do that? We make others' work more difficult by our lack of motivation. We just don't feel like doing it. It will get done sooner or later. Sometimes the "thing" just goes away. (At least we think it does.) But most of the time, our laziness- lack of motivation- affects others. Some things are small, but small things build. The beach is made of small grains of sand, you know.  We need to remember to say we're sorry for the little things and that most everything we do affects someone. Little things like our negative attitudes, our habit of running late, and even silly things, like jokes made at some one's expense. And making more work for others.


Do I really feel bad about not getting a hair cut sooner? Not really. But I will apologize. Haircuts are like vacuuming. You can let it go, and still takes about the same amount of effort to get the job done. Well, at least I hope she sees it that way! And, she is getting paid to fix it. Thankfully I don't have to pay my family to put up all the others things I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment